Unraveling Stories

I had been away from my class for two weeks and was a little worried about how this next lesson would. However the students were so eager to dance! I’m really surprised at the impact I’ve had on the class as a teacher and the big impact dance has on the students. Even the ones who are disruptive and often lose privileges because of their distractions are excited when I come for dance time.
After taking Jana Shumways class about teaching dance in elementary schools I have been eager to dance a book with the class. We followed the story of Edmund, a little ball of yarn and his traveling the world by spiraling and unwinding. I was so focused on fitting everything into the lesson I didn’t give enough time to explore movement, there were just so many pages to the book and sections I wanted to cover. If I ever do this lesson again I want to make specific sections in the book to limit the different sections and give time to developing movement for specific pages. After we explored the story I had them gather on the rug and without words or reading I opened the book and showed them the story page by page. I then told them that stories don’t always have to be shared with words, but they can be told through pictures and dance. This was the best part of my lesson, the whole class was engaged looking at the book intently and making their own connections of their movement to the book. I think they were so surprised that the dance movement we just did actually connected to a book! It was awesome to have them all captivated, every single child was engaged.
We then moved onto our Indonesian dance, specifically working on Sajojo. Last time I left them they had just created a secret handshake with a friend, today I had them review that (some had forgotten) and pair by pair they each stood up and showed the class. This was a great time for them to feel special as they shared their creations, it was well worth the time to have them do it individually instead of in two large groups. Each student felt a sense of pride as they showed their master pieces and by taking the time to do it individually it showed that what they do individually is important.

I can’t wait for next week when we finish the dance! I will record the dance when it is finished and post it online.

Comments

  1. I love the way you've allowed the students the opportunity to return to previous lessons and review movement they created in the past. Allowing the opportunity to review and revise helps students reach higher levels of thinking as they are required to make judgements and put value on what has already been created. Additionally the repetition helps them retain information and memory of their experiences.

    When they danced the book without words were the students noisy? How did you share the images in the book with the students so that they could all see? I know when I teach with a book students always end up crawling over the top of each other to get a closer look at the book. What was your strategy at that point in the lesson for sharing the book resource with all the students?

    I am excited to see the video you post when you finish the dance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book Lessons were a hit with my 2nd grade class as well! I was worried about getting through the whole book as well, and so I did end up picking parts of the book to focus on. It went really well! The kids were able to really get excited about the parts of the book that we did explore! I want to see your Indonesian video as well!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment