World Dances


I wanted to touch bases on what we did last time to see what they remembered about the locomotor steps. I let each student choose their favorite across the floor. When I set them free to go I almost wished I had another day for locomotor! They all had fun choosing their favorite move but I really wanted to give them one on one feedback and give them a challenge that they could take on. However the students still loved it and it was a opportunity to let them get their wiggles out. 
I then went to teach them Zemer Atik. I have taught this dance many many times and thought I had thought through the places that would be difficult for second graders, let’s just say there were a few things I didn’t think about. Getting into a circle formation and not having areas that are crammed while the other side of the circle is all stretched out is actually pretty difficult. Now adding in the unique hand position one hand on your own shoulder and the other hand on the shoulder of the person in front of you only made the circle a little more chaotic! Ha. The dance still worked out but if I could do it again I might want to teach it in a straight line instead of a circle.


When I went to teach them La Raspa the whole class was very excited because they had already learned the dance! I wished I was introducing them to a new dance, so to make it interesting I tweaked the dance they knew and gave them a new challenge as they danced. One thing I loved during this lesson was showing them on a map where these dances came from. This was one of their favorite parts and it made them more excited to dance. They are so eager to learn! Mrs. Giles informed me that at their parent teacher conference that week over half of the class said that their favorite part of second grade is dancing! That is the best thing I could’ve heard as a teacher:)


Comments

  1. i love this lesson, and I have loved reading about the ways you integrate world dance into the classroom. Thank you for sharing so many wonderful thoughts, reflections, pictures, and videos on your blog. I have loved following along on your Arts Bridge journey by reading your posts. You have done great work this semester. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment